Friday, January 14, 2011

Answers

Allison, I totally apologize, with the holidays and everything I totally spaced the book, but I still want to answer some of your questions because I think this is an awesome portrayal of this time period.
Q: Is this story of poverty different from other portrayals?
A: No, I think it is an accurate assessment of period living. This first time I read this book, I kept thinking to myself, my grandparents would LOVE this. My grandpa especially, was small during the depression and did things like collect aluminum and metal in the streets of San Diego. When I recommended this book to them, they both said they had already read it and it was one of their favorites. Mostly because, I think, extreme poverty and hardship speak to them. They have lived through it and, like Francine, learned and loved it. For them, who had seen and experienced what Francine experienced, it was accurate.
Q: Story of Francine's and the US's maturation in the 20th century
A: I think it is so interesting that Betsy Smith (I think her name is, the author) is writing this so far ahead of her time. The issues she discusses were not openly discussed OR written about in the 1920's. However, here is a women, writing about topics and themes that are relevant to life, however taboo. I loved reading about Francine as she grows alongside the USA. I think generally this is an intense period of maturation for the US; boys going to war, women filling both roles in the home. We see Francine change as her environment around her adapts to change as well. This is a good question.
Q: Does the story remind you of any other bildungsroman stories? (awesome word, I had to look it up.) Yes, it reminds me of 'These is my words'.

Sorry, since I didn't read the book, I can't answer any specific questions, but I will be more on top of it next time.

p.s. I just read 'the Help'. It was good, I really liked it. I would totally recommend it to anybody out there.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, answers! By the way, who wrote this? I also heard The Help was good. I am looking for new things to read. I have also thought about rereading The Count of Monte Cristo.

    ReplyDelete